Thursday, June 19, 2008

London (3)

Today we got up and went back to the Globe arriving right at 10AM to get tickets for the show later. And there were some still left. For standing seats on the ground, which were a must so as to get the full experience, we only paid 5 pounds and we were going to get to see The Merry Wives of Windsor. Splendid. So we left and crossed the Millenium Bridge, passed St Pauls Cathedral and walked towards the British Museum (where Liz is working). It took us a while and we at first missed it, I dont kow how as it is a huge building, but when we finally got there it was amazing. And I was elated and in heaven when I got to actually see the Rosetta stone. This was probably, in addition to Liz telling me about her Elgin Stones, the highlight of the museum for me even though we spent nearly 3 hours touring everything there was to see from Egypt to Japan and Back to the Roman Empire.

Our legs were feeling like rubber when we finished so we took our time walking back and took a few side tours through parks and such, getting to the Hornimans Tavern with a couple hours until the show began. And it was here that I had th famous Fish&Chips that London is supposed to be so reknowned for. It was quite good, yes, but it did not have nearly the same effect as the cheese the previous day. We got to the show pretty early to get good...standing room, and while in line met a couple of Canadian girls who had been touring all around Europe for 6 weeks and were flying out the next day. It was great to get to share our experiences and get a few pointers from them. And then the show. It was Amazing! Absolutely splendid and I can hardly put into words how I felt. I was leaning on the front of the stage the entire time, so close that I could have reached out and grabbed the actors, and once, due to the mans Precise ProNuNciation of ProPer EnGlish, I almost got hit by a stray bit of spit. You may now get the picture of how this felt. And the actors were amazing as was the entire performance, which, to our surprise we could understand. It was like being on cloud 9 the entire time being in such a reknowned place for theatre.

After the show, Liz and I went back to her place and I packed, she came with me to the bus stop and we said goodbye. And getting on the bus, I thought it would be an easy time getting back to where I lived for work at 9am the next day ...

No comments: